Sunday, July 16, 2017

Being Santa

I don't know what I thought being Santa would be like, but it has surprised me.  I guess I thought it would be about making believe.  It isn't.

The first year that Richard was Santa, he went and did a Christmas party at a dance studio with children from toddlers to tweens.  I was a spectator during that party.  The classes came in to see Santa according to age so the little ones were there without the older ones.  I saw small children that shared intimate secrets with Santa because they knew that they could trust him.  I saw them tell Santa things that they would never tell someone else. I saw their trust, their faith. It reminded me of our faith. The faith that children have in Santa is symbolic of our faith in our Heavenly Father. It is such a beautiful symbol.  It is a symbol I never saw until I stood there that day at a dance school's party.

This last year we were having lunch at Chick-fil-A in Grand Junction, CO while visiting with our family there.  A small child from across the room called out, "There's Santa!"  Her mother was obviously embarrassed.  Every man with a while beard is not Santa, after all!  Richard waved at her and she came over to see Santa.  They visited and the mom was trying to apologize. Soon, many children came to see Santa.  Richard, who always carries copies of his business card, gave her one.  She was relieved to see that her child didn't mistake some stranger with a beard for Santa Claus. This kind of thing has happened many times over the years that he has been Santa. He loves it, and the kids love it.  For me, it is kind of like being married to a celebrity. He is only a celebrity to children, but that is better than adults, who can be crazy!

Santa with Marie Osmond - and yes!  She recognized him too!
(Our friends Ashley and Seth are in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment