Saturday, June 24, 2017

Visits

Within the first couple of days at UNM, I got a phone call from a member of the Los Alamos Police Department wanting to come and talk to Richard about the accident.  I explained that he was not conscious so he might not want to make the 100 mile trip.  He said that he would like to come anyway.  I was thinking, "Knock yourself out!" but I probably said something like, "Do what you have to do."  Of course, when he came, he came in, saw how Richard was, and turned around and left.  I expected him to come back later when Richard was awake, but he never did.

Richard's boss also asked to come to see him in the first 24-48 hours in a phone call to me.  I explained that he was not conscious, but he insisted.  He showed up, saw the situation, and left.  I never saw him again. He gave me the impression that he wanted to see for himself, because he didn't believe he was hurt that seriously. I thought it was strange.

Many people came to visit, and it was easy to tell those that really cared from those that didn't.  Sometimes when I was out of the room to get dinner, I would come back and find that someone had been there and left a gift or something for Rich.  Some people came often and stayed long.  Some people didn't come often and they didn't stay long, but I could still tell that they cared. I heard from people that I hadn't heard from in many, many years.  That was wonderful, and it was heartwarming to know that so many people did truly care.

If you were one of those people, thank you.  Thank you for showing that you cared in whatever way you did.  There are too many small, kind acts that were done for our family for me to list them all.  The truth is, there were many large acts that were also done.  I haven't forgotten them.  They still touch my heart to know that people were willing to help in whatever way they could. In that way, it was a magical time.  In most ways it was a horrific time.  It is funny how sometimes those two things go hand in hand.  One thing is for sure.  You find out who cares, and who doesn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment