Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Value of Work

When my kids were small, my husband would stop on the way home from work and cut mistletoe out of trees that were along the side of the road.  He would bring it home and I would cut it into a reasonable size piece and tie it with ribbon.  At first the children would go door to door to sell the mistletoe for a dollar a sprig but soon we found we could make more money faster if we asked to stand outside of a local grocery store.  The kids did this for several years and by doing so, they were able to earn the money to buy Christmas presents for each other and their family members - even extended family with their own money.  It taught them to work at a young age.  One year they earned enough that they bought all the Christmas presents for their list and then had enough money left over to buy themselves their own American Girl doll.  Both of my girls still have those dolls because they earned them themselves.  They are a treasure to them - and now they are worth quite a bit of money as well, although I don’t think they would ever sell them.  Now my granddaughters earn money for their harps by selling scarves.  Their mother (our daughter) has an entrepreneurial spirit down to her core.  She attributes that to her experience selling mistletoe.  You can’t always find mistletoe in Nevada, but there is always something that young kids can do to earn money of their own.  Just two days ago I was cleaning out the garage and a child about 8 years old came into my garage to ask me if I was interested in buying a bracelet that he had made.  He was asking $3.  I bought one.  I didn’t buy one because I needed a bracelet.  I bought it because I saw in him the work ethic that I attempted to teach my own children.  Teach your children the joy of working and earning money, even before they may be legally old enough to do so.  It will be a benefit to them throughout their lives.  

Here is the link to my granddaughter's harp fund facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/harpfundraiser


No comments:

Post a Comment