Sunday, December 17, 2017

The symbol of Santa

When my husband became Santa the first year, I never dreamed the lessons that I would learn and spiritual experience and symbolisms that I would see and understand through the experiences.  
The first time that I saw the total faith of a child in their eyes as they looked up to Santa Claus, knowing that he could be totally trusted and that he could grant their deepest wishes if only he would, I saw myself.  I saw myself as I prayed for miracles that I could not provide for my own life.  I saw my faith in my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ as I asked for things that only they can grant if they only would. It brought me to tears. I realized the symbol that Santa represented in that moment.  Children have an easier time putting their faith in someone that they can see, touch, confide in.  At Christmas time, that someone is Santa Claus.  I have seen them tell him things that they might not ever tell someone else. This is something thdat we need to do when we pray, pour our heart out, confide in Him the things that you can’t confide in others.  
I have seen them ask for parents to be healed. Santa has to explain that he does not have the ability to heal people, only Jesus can do that.  Those moments are tender for Santa, and for the child.  I don’t know about all Santas, but I know that my husband as Santa tells the children to go to the source of true healing, that there are some things Santa can’t do. Santa can bring toys, clothing, things, but Santa does not work miracles.  That is something only the Lord can do.  
When we “become” Santa, we do so by fulfilling someone’s deepest desires for things - toys, clothing, food, etc.  That is also a beautiful symbol, giving to someone something that they cannot provide for themselves.  Isn’t that what the Lord did for us?  Give us something that we cannot provide for ourselves? In being Santa, fulfilling someone’s desires, we are truly becoming a savior, in a small symbolic way to that person. 
Some people think that Santa Claus is a secular symbol of Christmas, but I disagree. I see the face and love of our Savior when I see Santa.  I see Jesus in the grantor of wishes, those that become Santa for someone else.  
Childhood doesn’t last long.  Believing in Santa doesn’t last long.  Some people think that it is wrong to teach children about an imaginary person who brings them gifts. I believe that in telling children that Santa is bringing gifts that you yourself provide, you are showing a selflessness that is beyond the understanding of those who do not share the gift of Santa with their children.  Childhood is a time for magic, and no one brings magic like Santa. When we give gifts from Santa, we are giving in secret.  Jesus asked us to give alms in secret. “But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:” Jesus said,  “Thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.” Giving gifts to children with no thought of them knowing who did the giving is a Christlike attribute. 

In this season of my life, I get to see the miracle of Santa. I wish everyone could experience it. It helps me appreciate the role that Jesus Christ has in my life. Santa is not a perfect symbol, but the symbols that I see touch my soul, and I am grateful for them.  Image may contain: 1 person, christmas tree and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment